The 2019 grant team winners for the Walkability Action Institute (WAI) have been announced and the Broward MPO made the Top 10!
The National Association of Chronic Disease Directors (NACDD) in collaboration with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion’s (NCCDPHP) Division of Nutrition, Physical Activity and Obesity (DNPAO), announces the 10 interdisciplinary regional teams that will receive travel assistance to attend the 2019 Step It Up! The purpose of the Walkability Action Institute (WAI) is to prepare interdisciplinary teams from metropolitan planning organization (MPO) regions (or other similar regional entities) to pursue policy, systems, and environmental (PSE) supports for walking and walkability. This action institute, the 2019 Step It Up! Action Institute to Increase Walking and Walkability, will be held in Decatur, GA April 22-25th. It provides the 10 finalists teams with the most up-to-date academic and applied learning methods and reinforces and supports the implementation of significant national public health policy statements promoting walking and walkability. It is also an opportunity to interface with a renowned course faculty from the National Association of Chronic Disease Directors (NACDD), in order to provide participant teams with an optimal learning experience.
- Commissioner Bill Harris, City of Dania Beach / Board Member, Broward MPO
- Stephanie Garcia, Associate Planner, Broward MPO
- Larry Wallace, Bike/Ped/Complete Streets Coordinator, Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) District 4
- Régine Kanzki, Division Director, Broward Regional Health Planning Council’s Transforming Our Community’s Health (TOUCH)
- Ken Reinhardt, Florida Livable Communities Volunteer Lead, American Association of Retired Persons (AARP)