The MPO prepares its operational budget every two years. In the planning world, the budget is known as the Unified Planning Work Program (UPWP) as it incorporates and describes all transportation planning activities and associated funding (budget) for the MPO and our planning partners in Broward. Our fiscal year (FY) begins July 1 and ends June 30. Each year, the MPO’s financial statements and expenditures related to the budget are audited by an independent auditor.
What is contained in the MPO’s Budget/UPWP?
The MPO’s budget/UPWP provides a comprehensive picture to citizens and stakeholders who wish to see how federal and state transportation planning dollars are to be spent by the Broward MPO, local governments and transit agencies providing services to Broward. The following information can be found in the UPWP:
- Introduction and overview of transportation planning activities
- MPO Governance Structure and available documents
- Specific work tasks and products with related budget details for MPO administration, data collection and transportation planning activities
- Budget tables summarizing funding sources and utilization of funds
How is the MPO’s Budget/UPWP developed?
The UPWP is developed by Broward MPO staff in consultation with partner agencies, municipal staff and input from local citizens and stakeholders. The information collected is incorporated into the UPWP and budgeted accordingly. This document is then submitted to the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT), the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) and the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) for review, comment and final acceptance.
Current UPWP Documents
- UPWP FY 2022/23-2023/24 Modified September 18, 2023
- UPWP FY 2022/23-2023/24 Amended August 24, 2023
- UPWP FY 2022/23-2023/24 Amended April 14, 2023
- UPWP FY 2022/23-2023/24 Modified February 14, 2023
- UPWP FY 2022/23-2023/24 Amended November 28, 2022
- UPWP FY 2022/23-2023/24 Adopted May 12, 2022
Archived UPWP Documents
- UPWP/Business Plan FY 2020/21-2021/22 Amended June 15, 2022
- UPWP/Business Plan FY 2018/19-2019/20 Adopted May 10, 2018
- UPWP/Business Plan FY 2016/17-2017/18 Adopted May 12, 2016
- UPWP/Business Plan FY 2014/15-2015/16 Amended April 14, 2016
- UPWP/Business Plan FY 2012/13-2013/14 Adopted May 10, 2012
- UPWP/Business Plan FY 2010/11-2011/12 Adopted May 13, 2010
How are the MPO’s Budget and Planning Activities monitored?
Because the MPO expends federal and state dollars, we are required to be audited by an independent auditor. Each year the auditor reviews the MPO’s financial statements and internal controls and procedures for the previous fiscal year. The following comprehensive reports demonstrate that the Broward MPO is in compliance with federal and state requirements:
- Audit Report FY 2022
- Audit Report FY 2021
- Audit Report FY 2020
- Audit Report FY 2019
- Audit Report FY 2018
- Audit Report FY 2017
In addition to the annual audit, every four years the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) and the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) conduct a comprehensive review of the MPO activities. The MPO is required to address an extensive list of questions from the federal review team. Then the review team conducts a two-day site visit and prepares a final report. The final report documents the MPO’s corrective actions, recommendations and best practices. This activity is known as an MPO Federal Certification. The last Federal Certification was conducted in April 2019 and the MPO remains certified for the next four years. Certification reports can be found by clicking here.
The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) also conducts a certification of the MPO, but on an annual basis. Like the Federal Certification, the MPO is required to address an extensive list of questions from the state review team. Then the state review team conducts an onsite visit and prepares a final report. The final report documents the MPO’s corrective actions, recommendations and best practices. This activity is known as an MPO State Certification. The annual State Certification is usually conducted in January, and the MPO remains certified. Certification reports can be found by clicking here.
For More Information
Please contact Carl Ema at (954) 876-0052 or firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about the Broward MPO and what they are working on in your community.