The Coastal Link Commuter Rail project along the Florida East Coast (FEC) rail corridor in eastern Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach Counties has been under development for many years. Two segments of the Coastal Link are moving forward into the environmental study phase that will facilitate design and construction, once approved. The Miami-Dade segment is being evaluated as the NE Corridor Project Development and Environmental (PD&E) Study as part of their Smart Plan and the segment in Broward County is being evaluated as the Broward Commuter Rail PD&E Study.
Additional information can be found at the following websites for each project: http://www.miamidadetpo.org/smartplan-northeast-corridor.asp and www.browardcommuterrailstudy.com respectively.
Unlike Brightline, which is a high-speed, intercity service that is designed to carry people quickly to a limited number of destinations, the Coastal Commuter Link will eventually bring commuter rail service to the heart of South Florida’s historic downtowns including Miami, Fort Lauderdale, and West Palm Beach.
On April 30, 2021, the region's thought leaders came together at the spring Southeast Florida Transportation Council (SEFTC) meeting to discuss the Coastal Link Commuter Rail. Click on the Presentations link to the left to watch a recording of the Workshop!
Studying Commuter Rail in the Corridor
- Broward and FDOT MOU is signed
- PD&E Consultants selected
- Miami-Dade County Resolutions for ongoing track access negotiations
- Broward continues dialogue with Brightline and FDOT
- Broward and FDOT draft MOU to advance commuter rail project
- FDOT conducts New River Crossing Feasibility Study
- Brightline starts revenue service from Miami to West Palm Beach
- Miami-Dade begins negotiating track access
- Broward passes penny surtax
- Phased project implementation based on local funding share by country
- FDOT & SFRTA formally request Entry into PD from FTA
- FTA and FRA later agree to put PD request on hold to avoid confusion with AAF
- MPOs sign collective MOU and authorize request to begin FTA New Starts Project Development (PD)
- 25 stations identified for further evaluation in PD&E
- Refined Master Plan for 85-miles commuter rail service from Miami to Jupiter
- Integrated extension of Tri-Rail on shared tracks with FEC Freight
- All Aboard Florida (AAF) announced from Miami to Orlando
- MPOs and FEC request regional Transit Study by FDOT
- FDOT held over 400 public meetings to develop System Master Plan
- Resolutions of support from Broward MPO, Palm Beach MPO and cities
For More Information
Please contact Amanda Christon at (954) 876-0078 or firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about the Broward MPO and what they are working on in your community.