The MPO prepares its operational budget every two years. In the planning world, the budget is known as the Unified Planning Work Program (UPWP) as it incorporates and describes all transportation planning activities and associated funding (budget) for the MPO and our planning partners in Broward. Our fiscal year (FY) begins July 1 and ends June 30. Each year, the MPO’s financial statements and expenditures related to the budget are audited by an independent auditor.
What is contained in the MPO’s Budget/Unified Planning Work Program (UPWP)?
The MPO’s budget/UPWP provides a comprehensive picture to citizens and stakeholders who wish to see how federal and state transportation planning dollars are to be spent by the Broward MPO, local governments and transit agencies providing services to Broward. The following information can be found in the UPWP:
- Introduction and overview of transportation planning activities
- MPO Governance Structure and available documents
- Specific work tasks and products with related budget details for MPO administration, data collection and transportation planning activities
- Five year budget projection
- Budget tables summarizing funding sources and utilization of funds
How is the MPO’s Budget/Unified Planning Work Program (UPWP) Developed?
The UPWP is developed by Broward MPO staff in consultation with partner agencies, municipal staff and input from local citizens and stakeholders. The information collected is incorporated into the UPWP and budgeted accordingly. This document is then submitted to the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT), the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) and the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) for review, comment and final acceptance.
The following are the current and past budgets of the Broward MPO:
- FINAL (FOR REVIEW) Unified Planning Work Program/Business Plan FY 2018/20 (last updated: April 18, 2018)
- Unified Planning Work Program/Business Plan FY 2016/18 Adopted May 12, 2016
- Unified Planning Work Program/Business Plan FY 2014/16 Amended April 14, 2016
- Unified Planning Work Program/Business Plan FY 2012/14 Adopted May 10, 2012
- Unified Planning Work Program/Business Plan FY 2010/12 Adopted May 13, 2010
How are the MPO’s Budget and Planning Activities monitored?
Because the MPO expends Federal and State dollars, we are required to be audited by an independent auditor. Each year the auditor reviews the MPO’s financial statements and internal controls and procedures for the previous fiscal year. The following comprehensive reports demonstrate that the Broward MPO is in compliance with federal and state requirements:
- Audit Report FY 2017
- Audit Report FY 2016
- Audit Report FY 2015
- Audit Report FY 2014
- Audit Report FY 2013
- Audit Report FY 2012
- Audit Report FY 2011
In addition to the annual audit, every four years the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) and the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) along with the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT), conduct a comprehensive review of the MPO activities. The MPO is required to address an extensive list of questions from the federal review team. In addition, the review team conducts a two day site visit and prepares a final report. The final report documents the MPO’s corrective actions, recommendations and best practices. This activity is known as an MPO Certification. The last Certification was conducted in May 2015 and the MPO remains certified for the next four years. Certification reports can be found by clicking here.
For More Information
Please contact Michael Ronskavitz at (954) 876-0041 or email@example.com to learn more about the Broward MPO and what they are working on in your community.